The 2020 Virginia Festival of the Book invites you to consider a curated list of titles and participate in a Pop-Up Book Club. Pop-Up Book Club provides avid readers and book clubs with a unique chance to engage in a deeper discussion of books by incredible authors. It’s simple: You select a book from the list below, which features books that were scheduled to be featured in the 2020 Festival, and then plan an online book club meet-up with your friends to discuss it. Post about your Pop-Up Book Club on Twitter or Facebook and tag @VaBookFest for your chance to win Festival swag. We’ll pick winners at random in the coming weeks, and will follow up with them to send tote bags, stickers, or other great swag for the entire book club!
From some of this year’s best fiction to award-winning nonfiction, selections for the Pop-Up Book Club offer a variety of topics and themes that are ripe for discussion among your friends and fellow book club members:
- Ordinary Girls: A Memoir by Jaquira Díaz
- The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life Of A Double Murder In Appalachia by Emma Copley Eisenberg
- Late Migrations: A Natural History Of Love And Loss by Margaret Renkl
- Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, And The Last Trial Of Harper Lee by Casey Cep
- A Good Provider Is One Who Leaves: One Family And Migration In The 21st Century by Jason Deparle
- Who Put This Song On? by Morgan Parker
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
- Last Of Her Name by Mimi Lok
- Gun Island by Amitov Ghosh
- Stay And Fight by Madeline ffitch
Further, on each author’s Festival speaker page, linked to above, we’ve provided a link to a discussion guide or interview with the author.
To take part in Pop-Up Book Club:
- Select a book. Review the above Pop-Up Book Club selections and pick a book that appeals to you and your friends and/or existing book club(s).
- Put it on the calendar. Plan a time with your group to discuss the book.
- Read! Sit back and start reading, with an eye toward the questions and topics you’d like to discuss at the book club meet-up.
- Discuss: At the meet-up itself, we hope you’ll treat it like any other book club among friends: Enjoy yourselves while sharing authentic engagement with the work you’ve read.
- Post about your Pop-Up Book Club on social media and tag @VaBookFest for your chance to win swag!